Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Copy Rights, Fair Use, Online Safety & Cyber Bullying

Paragraph 1:  Why do we have to respect copy rights and fair use rules?  Why is that so important?  How will you teach your students about this?
            We have to respect copy rights and fair use rules because they are the law. Copy right laws are there for a purpose. They protect people’s creations. Fair use laws provide teachers a little leeway for educational purposes, but do not give free reign. That is important because not only do educators need to follow the law as well; they need to set good examples for their students. One of the best ways to teach is through example. I do think that the Copyright Bay site is a helpful teaching tool also. I would like to use something like that to teach students. It is interactive and would probably be more effective than a lecture.
           
Paragraph 2: What is online safety and is it different from cyber bullying?  How can we protect our students and ourselves from potential online predators?
            I believe online safety is different than cyber bullying. Online safety has to do with protecting children while they are online. It is protecting them from inappropriate content, exploitation, predators and such. Cyber bullying, while bad in and of its self, is different. It usually involves kids being harassed by their peers. I think we can protect ourselves and students by first being aware of and helping them to be aware of the dangers and then teaching them skills or tips to avoid such danger. I also think it is important to make sure kids understand people are not always who they say they are. It is very easy to lie online.


Paragraph 3: What do you think about this week activities?  Did you learn anything new? 
            This week’s activities were interesting. I knew a lot about online safety and cyber bullying already, but I did learn quite a bit about copy rights. When I took the quiz it my score said “Good job you propeller head, or maybe you should go back and read the article!
Your score is 85%” and I had to go back and look though things. I also went back once and marked every answer wrong so I could read the note they had at the top about each answer. I had always thought only registered copy rights were legally binding and I thought if you cited a source you could not be in violation of any laws. I also did not know much about fair use laws at all. The information I learned will definitely be helpful. After reading all of this information, I’m pretty sure I have unintentionally violated copy right laws in the past.


Fryer, Wesley. Copyright 101 for Educators. 2003. Retrieved September 27, 2010. http://www.wtvi.com/TEKS/02_03_articles/copyright.html

Carnell, John. Bullying UK.  Retrieved September 27, 2010. http://www.bullying.co.uk/

CopyRight Quiz. Retrieved September 27, 2010. http://www.csus.edu/indiv/p/peachj/edte230/copyright/quiz.htm

Joilet, Francis. A Visit to Copyright Bay. 2002. Retrieved September 27, 2010. http://www.stfrancis.edu/cid/copyrightbay/index.htm

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children and Boys & Girls Clubs of America.  NetSmartz. 2010. Retrieved September 27, 2010. http://www.netsmartz.org/

U.S. Copyright Office. Copyright. 2010. Retrieved September 27, 2010. http://www.copyright.gov/

7 comments:

  1. Candace,

    I got the same message when I took the quiz, but I got a 50. I was very surprised at how confusing some of the situation could be. Certain ones, I thought for sure were okay, and they weren't...and vice versa. To date, I definitley think this is probably going to one of the most beneficial lessons I will learn in this class.

    I had to admit in my blog the same thing, that I have likely broken copyright laws without even knowing it. This makes me wonder how often students do it, and if they even realize what they are doing. Teachers generally just emphasize on citing your work, so that's all I've ever really thought I needed to do. This assignment definitley brought forth the importance of informing students about copyright and fair use laws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Candace,

    This was an exceptional post, and it seems as though you have become very educated on the subject. Accordingly, I agree that one must be cautious when getting online whether it be to bank, chat, or any other action that requires a person to speak to another or inputing personal information of any sort. Of course, it is safe to be apprehensive about banking online, because anyone could pick up your information and commit fraud. On the other hand, there are websites that let the consumer know that their information will be secure. Therefore, it is good to look for this symbol, which is usually in the form of the lock on the search bar. In addition, we must also be cautious of online predators which prey on the young and old alike, in most cases.

    Of course, there is software available that would allow a parent to monitor his/her child's web searches as well as blocking those websites, which are deemed inappropriate. Nevertheless, this task was exceptionally helpful, and although I did not make an impressive grade; I learned a great deal when concerning fair rules, especially for educators.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candace,
    Indeed, copyrights and fair use are laws we have to be in compliance with. And, for those of us who are planning a career in education or that at least would be involved in the education field, learning the limitations is no excuse as we will be an open book to our students who will follow our lead.
    My score was low compared to an 85%, I do have to pay special attention to this and always go back to the sites that provide interactive lesson regarding copyrights and fair use. I think that the more informed educators and parents are, the better guidance our students will have. I am glad to know that you are very well informed because it encourages everyone in the class to learn more about the topic.
    I never thought of copyrights being beneficial to me; I have to confess I am not a creative person and therefore I have no works that could face this problem. But I definitely would protest if someone stole my ideas or projects on which I have worked so hard. This was a great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candace,

    1st let me start by saying that i dont know how you got a 85 on the copyright quiz lol I think you did better than a lot of people...or was that just me? i dont know but it was hard lol. The only thing that i kind of disagree with you about is the fact that online saftey and cyberbullying are different. The only reason that i disagree is because cyberbullying can be avoided by online safety. If people (children and adults) are more careful online then they wont be subjects of cyberbullying, but i also see where you are coming from

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did horrible on the quiz and I was confused about some of the questions. I learned a lot about the law and how it works, so I feel I will be better prepared as a teacher now. I believe cyber bullying is a huge problem children face today and it is very important that we let children and adults know about this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quiz had a lot of "trick" questions. You have to read all of the words really carefully in order to get them correct. I have taken this exact same quiz in the past for my job. I still got a 90 this time. I also did the same thing as you and went back and answered all of the questions wrong so that I could see the little tip/reasoning at the top. I think that these "real world" situations gave me a really good idea of how to be careful and protect myself from breaking the law.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, on the quiz I didn't know all the right answers, I think most of my answers were just good guesses. Some of them seemed to be too easy so I would pick the opposite of what I thought would be the average answer. I figured most of them were meant to be tricky. Lol.

    ReplyDelete