Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Podcasting

Paragraph 1: What did you learn about podcasting.  How it can be used in the classroom?
        I learned a lot about podcasting. Before this lesson, I had never heard of it and could not have told you what it was or how it was used. Now I at least have a basic knowledge of it, so I definately learned something new. The book mentions that in the classroom it can be used as a class-created podcast. I think if I were to use this, that would be the only way I would. I really have trouble seeing how I would use it at all honestly.

Paragraph 2: How is podcasting different / similar to other Web 2.0 applications we discussed so far?
        I think it is similar because it is still fairly new technonolgy and is a way to reach many people. It gives the creator a chance to make and share something of interest to them. It can also be a way to help keep people connected. It is different because it can be used outside of a computer. Most of the stuff we have discussed are meant to be used online. This you can download and take with you and it can still be used outside the Internet.

Paragraph 3: Your reflection:  Do you own an iPod or MP3 player?  How do you use it?  Would you use it in your classroom and how? What do you think about advantages/disadvantages of online communication tools?
        I actually do not own an iPod or MP3 player. That probably sounds really odd, I know. Both of my kids have MP3 players, but I have honestly never had much desire in having one. I just really do not have any need of one, so I have never bothered. I mainly got them for my kids so they could listen to their music and I didn't have to. I really do not see myself using them in  my classroom either. I guess I am still a little old fashioned. I do believe some of the technology we have discussed has advantages. I like the idea of blogs and wikis. The MI lesson plan could definately be helpful. Still, I feel some of this is just too much. This podcasting and the VoiceThread do not hold appeal for me. I think they take away too much from one on one interaction, I do not think I will use either of these in my class.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about not having the desire for an iPod. I bought one about five years ago and I only used it for like a year. It has been sitting on my computer table since then…actually I went and got it so I could charge it just because our lesson talks about it, funny! I do think it would be useful in a classroom, but then again I think it may be too much to get it to an iPod…well, maybe it's not really that complicated.

    I for sure would have enjoyed watching my favorite shows that were on TV only during school hours back in the 80's and 90's. Now that I have the technology tools and the access to them, I engage in other activities like work and homework!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it has been really interesting to go through all of these different types of social media and how they can function in the classroom. I too think that if we began using all of them everyday to replace the current functions of the classroom, that it would be overkill. I think students would begin losing some of the important skills that they already pick up simply in regards to reading and writing. However, I do think that using these in moderation to supplement the current forms of teaching, is a great way to both allow students to pick up on new skills and offer different avenues of learning for different types of learners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the overkill. Like I said in my post, I think if used too much, you miss out on the human interaction that is so important in today's modern society. You can meet someone, make a deal with someone, buy something off of someone all with out ever actually meeting them. Basically the only thing you can't do on the internet is make a baby, and I'm sure we can't be that far away, wait, maybe we should have the kids on the internet more. Okay, I'm only kidding

    Whitsitt rhys Shelton

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what u said about using this podcasting in class but i think with the advances they keep making in technology period that eventually we will some how incorprate this into are classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol im like you, I never knew what a podcast was before this reading either but i guess my situation is worse because i actually own a ipod. I've always them advertising the podcast but i just never took the time to look at them and find out what they were....Shea Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete