Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Rubrics, Clickers, and Inspiration/Kidspiration Software

Paragraph 1: Technology Based Rubrics
     Rubrics are devices used for scoring and asessing assignments. They list specific criteria for the project. I think rubrics are very useful. They make the expectations for an assignment clear to students and I imagine they make grading simpler for teachers as well. I think rubrics would be useful in my class. I could use them with Speech assignments.

Paragraph 2: Clicker Assessment Tools
          Qwizdom offers a student response system that "Combines response system interactivity, customized presentations, formative assessments, and online reporting into one complete solution. Inspires, motivates, and empowers each individual student.  Offers a variety of remote types; including rechargeable and ability for text input. Displays right/wrong feedback. Allows students to discreetly ask for assistance. Engages through the use of Qwizdom’s interactive learning games." This could be used in my Speech classroom by having the students respond while teaching a lesson or by letting the teachers help evaluate each others speeches.

Paragraph 3: Inspiration/Kidspiration Software
     Inspiration and Kidspiration use "visual learning methodologies" help students learn and build planning and thinking skills. Kidspiration in designed more towards grades K-5, so it would not be as beneficial to me in a highschool setting as Inspiration would be. This technology could be useful in my Speech class in several ways. It could be used ifor brainstorming a speech topic, writing the speech, or as a visual aid during the speech.



Discovery Education. (2010). Kathy Schrock's guide for educators. Discovery Education. Retrieved November 24, 2010 from http://school.discoveryeducation.com/schrockguide/assess.html#rubrics 

Inspiration Software, Inc. (2010). Inspiration Software. Retrieved November 24, 2010 from http://www.inspiration.com/Inspiration

Qwizdom Inc. (2010). Quizdom. Retrieved November 24, 2010 from http://www.qwizdom.com/?gclid=CNLygeH3mpcCFQZqswodWV6D-g

7 comments:

  1. I agree that clickers is useful in classrooms. It benefits every students, but I think it is great for students who need to ask for extra help whithout feeling embarrassement.

    Also, rubrics would make your life easier when grading speeches. It will also help your students to be better prepared for their next speech because they will know how you grade. When I took my speech class, the professor handed us the rubric before we gave the speech and it was very helpful. So, I think it could benefit high school students as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been really surprised by the different tools we have learned in this class and how beneficial I think they could end up being in the classroom. I think all 3 of the tools that we reviewed this week would be great additions to the classroom.

    Rubrics are obviously nothing new; however, having access to tons of them at the click of a button is a great tool. I also think the clickers would be a great a great way to find out students opinions and thoughts immediately without there having to voice them in front of the whole class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rubrics are a great way to evaluate and that would be very helpful for speech so the students know all the details of what you are grading on, and that information on the clickers is very helpful.
    -Richard Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technology based rubrics would be very beneficial to a Speech teacher. If there is one thing that I have had the biggest issue with throughout my educational career as a student, it would be the teachers who do not use a rubric. They grade based on their own feelings on a topic rather than grading based on a rubric that is utilized for all of the students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have really enjoyed having access to rubrics in high school. It was always annoying, and a little scary if it was for a big grade, to not know exactly what was needed/expected for an assignment. I've enjoyed having readily available rubrics for some of my college classes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree I wish I would have had rubrics earlier in life than just college. High school I felt like I always had to guess on what I was expected to do. I like to know what is is expected then I can usually follow my guide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Candace,

    While you're looking at ways to integrate Inspiration as a tech tool for your high school classes, you may be interested in Webspiration Classroom service.

    Webspiration Classroom is our newest tech tool with many of the functions of Inspiration - online! This new tool is also very collaborative, allowing students and teachers to share, co-create, co-edit, chat and comment on documents. To learn more, go to http://www.inspiration.com/WebspirationClassroom.

    If you have any questions or comment, please email me at connect(at)inspiration.com. You may also find me on our blog, Facebook or Twitter.

    Thanks for mentioning us!

    Sarah Cargill, Inspiration Software
    inspiration.com/blog
    facebook.com/InspirationSoftware
    twitter.com/InspirationSW

    ReplyDelete